Shopping Cart
Your Cart is Empty
There was an error with PayPalClick here to try again
CelebrateThank you for your business!You should be receiving an order confirmation from Paypal shortly.Exit Shopping Cart

Training Guide

New to the industry?

A bit confused at the different requirements for training?

The information below should help. We have tried to answer your likely questions on some of the popular training courses running. 

Still confused - contact us

Course : ADR – Carriage of Dangerous Goods

Why is it needed :

It is the minimum legal requirement for individuals responsible for driving vehicles containing dangerous goods and substances in tanks or packages.

What does it cover?

It covers all vehicles up to articulated lorry size. Dangerous goods are divided into several classes. The ADR certificate will only cover which classes that the driver trained and was tested on.

How long does it last?

The initial certification lasts for 5 years before expiring. If the driver successfully carries out a refresher course before the 5 years is up then the certificate will be renewed. Failure to renew within the 5 years will involve re-sitting the initial course.

Employment Opportunities

Holding an ADR certificate in conjunction with an LGV licence is required to drive Oil tankers, Chemical Lorries, Transport of Various Gases, Transport of Special Wastes, Explosives.

Select, register, and pay for a course

Course : Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor

Why is it needed?

Since legislation was introduced in 2000, all companies carrying dangerous goods in tanks or packages must employ a Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor or use the services of a third party consultant.

What does it cover?

The DGSA course covers all the legislation and regulations regarding the transportation of substances within the 9 main classes of dangerous goods.

How long does it last?

The initial certification lasts for 5 years before expiring. At this point the DGSA must sit another examination to renew the qualification. Upon passing this test the qualification will be renewed.

Employment Opportunities

Holding a DGSA qualification will open doors into a variety of industries from Chemical Manufacturers and Oil Distribution Companies through to organisations transporting Corrosives and Toxic Waste Substances.

Course : OCR Level 3 Certificate of Professional Competence in Transport Management

What is it?

CPC is the Certificate of Professional Competence. It can be either:

  • Road Haulage
  • Or Passenger Transport

The CPC is awarded by OCR Examinations Board (Oxford Cambridge and RSA) examination and certificates. The CPC course is a lifetime qualification and is a necessary qualification for any person or company to hold an Operators licence allowing them to operate a business carrying Goods or Passengers for hire or reward.

Employment opportunities :

Holding a CPC qualification is a step towards self-employment. It will allow you to apply for your Operators licence and work towards running your own business. Alternatively the knowledge gained within the course is of benefit to many companies within the Transport industry. Many transport managers hold this qualification.

Course : Driver CPC

What is it ?

In September 2008 (PCV) and September 2009 (LGV) EU legislation was introduced for professional drivers requiring them to hold a new qualification : the Driver Certificate of Professional Competence (CPC).

The initial qualification for new professional LGV drivers, which includes large vans over 3,500kg MAM, will be obtained by the driver passing detailed tests, comprising a total of 4 hours of theory testing and 2 hours of practical testing. These tests will be set at the equivalent of an NVQ Level 2.

How long does it last ?

Once obtained, professional drivers will have to keep their certificate valid by completing a total of 35 hours of periodic training every 5 years (5 x 7 hour courses). There will be no additional test to take.

Existing Drivers will not have to pass the initial qualification, but will be subject to the five yearly periodic training requirement.

Why is it needed?

In addition to improving road safety and reducing road casualties, the introduction of the Driver CPC is expected to bring an improved professional and positive image to the industry that will attract more people into careers as LGV and PCV drivers.

Employment Opportunities:

Driver CPC is the standard that all drivers have to conform with. Therefore it is essential to undergo periodic training to drive commercially in the transport industry.

Course Topics include:

  • Driver Hours & Tachographs ( 7 hours)
  • Safe Loads/Safe Roads (7 hours)
  • Carriage of Dangerous Goods (7 hours)
  • The Professional LGV/PCV Driver - Core Skills (7 hours)
  • Health & Safety For Commercial Drivers (7 hours)
  • Emergency Procedures For Loss, Injury, Death & Damage(LIDDs) ( 7 hours)

Course : LGV* Driver

What class of vehicle does this cover?

There are several classes of LGV licence. They are as follows :

C1 – Rigid Lorry up to 7.5 tonnes in weight

C – Any rigid vehicle over 3.5 tonnes in weight

C + E – All lorries over 3.5 tonnes in weight towing a trailer over 750kg

C1 + E – Lorry towing a trailer not exceeding 12 tonnes in weight.

Course : PCV* Driver

What class of vehicle does this cover?

D – Bus / coach carrying over 16 passengers

NB*: For each of these licence categories you must complete a medical, apply for a provisional licence, complete a theory and hazard perception test, theory case study test then complete practical driver training and the practical driving test and finally a Driver CPC Practical test.

We Can Assist You With This Whole Procedure

Course : IMIAL Level 3 Award in Automotive Refrigerant Handling

What is it ?

This single unit qualification provides motor vehicle technicians with a qualification (approved by DEFRA), which fulfils the scope of Commission Regulation EC842/2006 and Annex to Commission Regulation EC307/2008 for F-gas (fluorinated greenhouse gas) handling. This legislation came into force on 4th July 2010.

The training requires the technician to study learning materials in advance of the training and assessment. Technicians must complete 1½ days of training followed by an assessment.

Why is it needed?

European regulations now insist that companies working with Air Conditioning systems must have a qualified Gas Handler on staff.

Employment Opportunities.

Any motor vehicle service centres and accident repair centres that offer air conditioning servicing to their customers must have technicians with this or equivalent qualifications.