ADR Dangerous Goods Training
. ADR – Carriage of Dangerous Goods in Road Tankers, Tank Containers and Packages.
The Carriage of Dangerous Goods by road has inherent risks and dangers and by attending recognised training, drivers can reduce the hazards to themselves and to other road users by following industry guidelines and health and safety legislation.
Transporting dangerous goods in the following vehicles will require the driver to hold a valid ADR Vocational Training Certificate:
- A Road tanker with a capacity greater than 1000 litres
- A Tank Container with a capacity greater than 3000 litres
- A vehicle having a permissible maximum weight exceeding 3.5 tonnes
The ADR course will identify the risks associated with transporting dangerous substances and prepare you for the Scottish Qualifications Authority examinations. At the end of the course you will be able to :
- Understand the dangers associated with the transportation of dangerous substances in tankers and tank containers.
- Know how to act in an emergency situation when an incident occurs.
Drivers must sit the appropriate exams for materials they wish to carry as follows:
- Module 001 - Core (compulsory)
- Module 002 – Road Tankers and Tank Containers/or Packages (i.e. Non-tanker lorry)
- Modules 003 - 012 An exam for each of the classes they wish to carry
- Alternatively most drivers elect to sit the Common Characteristics examination with 2 additional exams – Group A covering classes 2,3 6, 8, Group B covering classes 4,5,9.
UN Regulations recognise 9 classes of Hazardous Material:
- Class 1 – Explosives
- Class 2 – Gases
- Class 3 - Flammable Liquids (Petrol / Oil)
- Class 4 - Flammable Solids
- Class 5 - Oxidising Substances (Fertilisers), Organic Peroxides
- Class 6 - Toxic and Infectious Substances
- Class 7 - Radioactives (Not available)
- Class 8 – Corrosives
- Class 9 - Miscellaneous
The ADR Certificate is valid for 5 years, but may be extended for a further 5 years by completing a refresher course before the expiry date on the existing ADR licence.
We offer ADR Initial and Refresher Courses run on a monthly basis.
Course duration is as follows:
- 3 Days – Class 3 Flammable Liquids in Road Tankers and Tank Containers
- 4 Days – Packages carrying Classes 2, 3, 4,5,6,8 & 9.
- 5 Days – Tankers, Tank Containers and Packages carrying Classes 2, 3, 4,5,6,8 & 9
- 2½ days – ADR Refresher Course.